Everything you need to know about headlight restoration techniques : There are techniques to restore aged or old headlights for long lasting and new effects. There are many factors like environmental pollution, UV light, rain or exposure to any chemical, that cause discoloration and dullness of headlights.
How to Headlight restoration at home?
Some headlights are a little bit cloudy and foggy and can be restored easily with a little bit of care and cleaning.
- Start with washing the headlight with soap and water.
- Note the condition of the headlight while it’s still wet. If it’s a little bit clear while wet then the restoration process can be smooth.
- Dry the headlight with a microfiber towel.
- Apply a clarifying compound to the microfiber towel and rub it over the surface of the headlight.
- Apply pressure with your fingers and spread the compound in every direction by back and forth movement.
- After 2 minutes of rubbing, leave it there for drying.
- Buff the headlight with the help of a clean microfiber towel.
- If you get a crystal clear headlight that means you have successfully cleaned the cloudy and foggy lens and now you can apply the lens base coat for a long lasting effect.
In some cases headlights are not just cloudy or foggy, they are damaged because of heavy oxidation. So how can you restore such headlights?
- Apply spray lubricant to the headlights.
- Apply pressure and keep rubbing it in a back and forth manner until oxidation is removed.
- Use a polishing pad to rub back and forth. Flip it to tan side and keep rubbing with spray lubricant.
- Dry the headlight with the help of a microfiber towel.
- Apply another coat of clarifying agent and rub until light becomes clear.
- Allow it to try and then buff it with the help of clean cloth or microfiber towel.